Cut – Prepoint – Chamfer Machine
Cutting, prepointing, and chamfering are three key processes that custom manufacturers use to make high-speed steel tools, carbide tools, and rotary cutting tools. Rush Machinery’s CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine converts full-length blank carbide rods into tool banks for finish grinding and fluting. Read on to learn more about this machine.
How the CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine Can Save You Time and Money
The CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine combines three processes—cutting, prepointing, and chamfering—into one machine. This computer-controlled machine requires minimal human intervention, producing quality results.
This machine is a three-in-one turnkey solution that offers a better alternative to owning and running separate machines for cutting, prepointing, and chamfering metal cutting tools. If the blank carbide rods are prepped ahead of time, the CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine can significantly boost production and reduce cycle time on finished tool grinding.
What Is a Cutoff Machine?
Cutoff machines cut hard materials like hardened steel, low carbon steel, and carbide. They are crucial machines for manufacturing and fabricating high-speed steel and carbide tooling. A cutoff machine is also referred to as an abrasive saw or chop saw.
What Is a Chamfer Machine?
A chamfer machine breaks sharp edges, facilitating easier assembly or intersecting of metal parts. For example, manufacturers can use this machine to create chamfers in a shaft that make it easier to join to a bush. Chamfering is also used to prepare welding edges at the end of pipes.
Machining centers prefer chamfering as a design process since it does away with sharp edges and leaves a sloped surface, making the final product stronger. Chamfer tools can also perform functions like spotting, countersinking, and deburring. These versatile capabilities expand the chamfer machine’s functionality and add value to the manufacturer.
What Industries Are Best Suited for This Machine?
CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine is ideal for custom manufacturers of cutting tools. This includes cutting tools such as:
- Low carbon steel
- High-speed steel
- Rotary cutting tools
- Tungsten carbide
This machine also serves companies working in the custom manufacturing industry in general.
Benefits of the CH-CM0406 CNC Prepoint-Chamfer Machine
Manufacturing companies that decide to use the CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine enjoy a variety of benefits:
- Cuts uniform lengths: This machine can cut and chamfer rods to the same length even when starting with rods of varying sizes. The final grind allows users to create consistent, uniform tool lengths.
- Reduced costs: Being able to produce rods of the same length regardless of starting length also means considerable cost savings for manufacturers, since they can buy rods of different sizes for less than it would cost to buy rods of the same length.
- Improved grinding capabilities: The machine uses collets to maintain precision while clamping. The collet clamps the part once it’s pushed to a mechanical stop. Once the piece has been secured, the machine moves the stop away, allowing users to grind the part all the way to a point. A chamfer-only machine would be limited by the stop, which in turn limits the grinding process.
- Versatility: The machine can do cuts only, chamfers only, or cuts and chamfers. Combining chamfering and prepointing allows you to produce tool rods of the same length.
Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machines by Rush Machinery
The CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine by Rush Machinery is a turnkey solution for cutting tool manufacturers. Contact us today for more information about this machine or any of our other machines.
The CH-CM0406 CNC Cut-Prepoint-Chamfer Machine is designed for converting full length, blank carbide rods into tool blanks for fluting and finish grinding. Cuts to length, prepoints, and chamfers. Also does cuts only, chamfer only, or cuts and chamfers.
The machine makes carbide blanks that are ready for finish tool grinding. It is ideal for cutting tool manufacturers that want to make tools from a blank that is already pre-pointed and chamfered. The machine is easy to setup and runs unattended.
Prepoint and chamfer angles can be generated through interpolation. The parts are held in place by two collets and the part is transferred from the cut and prepoint collet to the chamfer collet by a separate transfer device. A gripper deposits the completed piece into the collection basket.
Six easy steps to setup:
- Adjust the loader fingers.
- Install the correct collet and rod guides.
- The feeder V tray height is automatically adjusted.
- Install proper wheels for prepointing, cut-off, and chamfering.
- Setup pick-and-place unloader.
- Setup or recall from memory the runtime program in the controller.
Round cutting blanks ready for finish grinding
Reduce time in finish tool grinder
CNC automated controls combines three processes into a single machine to save cycle time and labor
Inventory reduction: Raw rod of diameters needed, but not for specific lengths
Greater flexibility: Form tool blanks to match orders from blank rod
Reduced material cost: Use blank rod to make order-specific blanks
CNC controller with user-friendly touch screen for programming/ parameter setting, and a pause program for parts inspection
Servo motor with four axis Servo control
Parts basket drawer can be opened without stopping machine to access finished parts for inspection and/or removal
Raw rod end locator stop to minimize end waste
CBN plated wheels (wheel position can be varied)
Prepoint/Chamfering angles: 60º–135º included angle
Use 30º wheel for 60º–90º included angle
Use 45º wheel for 90º–135º included angle
Automatic loader with part presence sensor, finger adjustment, and ball bearings to prevent more than one rod loading
Diameter range: 1/8″–1″ (3mm–25mm)
Length range: 4″–23.5″ (100mm–600mm)
Diameter range: 1/8″–1″ (3mm–25mm)
Length range: 1″–13″ (80mm–330mm)